- Going into this weekend vs DET, Tribe had an opportunity to show the sweep in May was not a "fluke" and show the rest of the country they are legit contenders along with KC. Well the first 2 games of this series have shown that the previous series was a fluke. Tonights game was on the "FOX Baseball Night in America" and the ballpark was packed. Trevor Bauer gave up 2 runs in 6 IP. However Francona should have not put him in the 7th because he was knocked around. He gave up back to back HRs to Rajai Davis and Ian Kinsler. Tribe rallied for runs in the 8th and 9th but could not tie it the 8th and win it in the ninth. Asdrubal Cabrera could have won it in the ninth inning but grounded out on the first pitch when Joe Nathan had thrown 30 pitches then. Cabby was hitting 300 when hitting the first pitch (h/t to T.J. Zuppe for tweeting this). However Cabby needs to be selective in that situation.
- In the 10th inning Kinsler singled and Austin Jackson sac bunted him to 2nd. Cody Allen could have IBB Miggy Cabrera. But Victor Martinez had hit a HR and a RBI single. Guess what happened? Miggy hit a RBI 2B. to put DET up 5-4. Allen got out of it but he did not execute the pitch to Miggy. That what lineup protection does. I know stat nerds think it is a myth, but it is the truth. Tribe went down quietly vs Phil Coke to lose the game 5-4.
- On Friday Rick Porcello continued his Tribe ownage. Kluber gave up 2 runs in 7 IP. Axford and Carrasco gave up extra runs in the 8th and 9th innings. Tribe scored 4 runs in the 8th but could not rally in the 9th to lose 6-4.
- When you look at the Tribe lineup vs DET lineup, Tribe does not have hitters that put fear into the opposition. Nick Swisher is not doing his job by being that guy. He was given a lot of money. He is the only former Buckeye I do not like. He has a World Series ring but he was not the reason the Yankees won the WS in 2009. His "bro" act has worn me out because he is not producing. David Murphy is also not producing. He needs to hit for more power. He hits too many ground balls especially to RF. Yan Gomes has settled down behind the plate but he needs to be productive especially with RISP. When Ryan Raburn faces LHP he has been awful. He needs to be the lefty killer. The team;s OPS as a whole vs LHP is at 657. The OPS vs RHP is 100 pts higher.
- It seems to me since last year when the Tribe play in front of big crowds at home they struggle. Even when they play on national TV at home or the road vs good teams they "wet the bed". Why is that? Are they trying too hard? I think they do not have that difference maker DET has. Until the front office acquires that, the team will carry the "not prime time players" rep.
Saturday, June 21, 2014
Wednesday, June 4, 2014
- The 2014 MLB Draft will commence from Thurs June 6th to Sat June 8th . MLB Network will have coverage of the first round at 3pm PST.
- Baseball Propectus puts out their 11 MLB Draft What Ifs (Free)
- Keith Law has his Top 100 Big Board and Final Mock Draft
- Here is Baseball America's BA 500 and Final Mock Draft
- Here are more mock drafts from Perfect Game and MLB.com
- Here is TV Info for the NCAA Div 1 Baseball Super Regionals
- Third was the charm for FLA softbal writes Graham Hayes
- My alma mater Clairemont High School won their first CIF San Diego section title in softball
Sunday, June 1, 2014
College hoops has "March Madness", College baseball has "June Boom"
- Maryland beats ODU 4-3
- Kansas beats Kentucky 10-6
- South Carolina beats Campbell 5-2
- Here are the Day 1 Regionals Roundup
- College coaches need a long term approach to their pitchers writes Aaron Fitt
- No. 4 seeds rise up on Day 2
- College pitchers fare worse elbow injuries than high school pitchers writes J.J, Cooper
- WCWS fans head to "Tentopolis" in OKC