- Today at 1pm PT, the non- waiver trade deadline in MLB ended Tribe today traded Justin Masterson to STL for AA OF James Ramsey. Ramsey played at Florida St. I agree with this trade because this year Masterson pitched poorly. When the Tribe acquired hin 5 years ago from BOS many critics thought he could not be a starter because he has a sidearm delivery from the right side. However the team not thought he could be an effective starter but a #1 ace. The problem on both fronts is opposing managers would load up with lefty bats because they see the rotation of Masterson's sinker and especially his slider better than righty bats. Masterson never came up with another pitch to "control" the LHH. He also gave up too many free passes like walks and HBP. Yes the Tribe defense is terrible and STL D is good, but Yadi Molina the normal catcher is on the DL for the Cards. Matheny should have Tony Cruz catch him. However, Cards offense has been struggling for the most part . The other critics say he is not a ace is he does not have the makeup. When Masterson pitched poorly in a "big game" he seemed like he did not care. I know he is a born again Christian, but I have seen other pitchers who are get upset if they pitch bad in a big game. Only time will tell if Masterson turns it around.
- Also today Asrubal Cabrera was traded to WSH for a IF Zach Walters. Cabby was a better player than some Tribe fans think. He should have played 2B not SS. That was Tribe FO did today. OAK traded for Jon Lester and DET traded for David Price. The Tribe FO did NOT trade for starting pitching and/or for right handed hitting. Why did they not? Kluber is the only starter I trust. Bauer and Salazar have upside but they need to learn how to be "professtional pitchers". They should have kept Kazmir. Why also they did not trade for RHH. They could have traded for Marlon Byrd. He had better stats than Murphy/Raburn combined. Alex Rios too. Of course they SHOULD have draft Giancarlo Stanton or Mike Trout . They better make waiver trades ASAP. With LeBron returning to the Cavs and Manziel playing for the Browns, Tribe are becoming an irrevelant franchise in CLE. I do not like that but it is the truth. They do not have any players in the top 20 in MLB in jersey sales. No current Tribe players have appeared in a Sports Center commercial. It has been at least 6-7 years the team appeared on ESPN "Sun Night Baseball". That is why the casual fans are not coming to games. You need many franchise players along with the pesky ones.
Thursday, July 31, 2014
Saturday, July 26, 2014
- Going into the All Star Break the Tribe were at 47-47 with a run differential of -8. In the first series of the second half at DET, they took 3 of 4(Saturday games include a split DH). Since then they lost 2 of 3 at MIN and lost the first three games at KC. Tonight's game could be a back breaker. They scored 5 runs in the 2nd inning and guess what happened? They did not add on runs and the starting pitcher, Zack McCallister did not pitch any shutdown innings. Instead he let the Royals get back into the game and scored 5 runs to tie and Hagagone gave up a 2 run HR to Butler.
- It seems throughout the season when the Tribe score some early runs in the game the opposing teams answer with response runs. Why does that happen? After watching the Tribe debacle last 2 nights, Dodgers beat the Giants Friday and Saturday covincingly. Why? LAD scored early, Grienke and Kershaw pitch shutdown innings , played crisp defense and added on runs late. Especially tonight when the Dodgers scored 2 early runs it was over because Kershaw owns the Giants especially against the best player (Buster Posey). Kershaw's career ERA is Bob Gibsonesque.
- IMO the reason the Tribe are mediocre franchise is Shapiro and Antonetti are "Moneyball" wannabees. They think they smarter than anyone so they hire "stat nerds" to be talent evaluators. Well they have failed big time. They have got rid of talented players because they were "divas" or the Dolans were too frugal. They drafted and developed poorly. Danny Salizar should be an ace but he just a "thrower". Kluber has pitched like an ace but can he keep it up in future years? He has not pitched in a post season game. Masterson is too nice to be one. When Curt Schilling pitched poorly he was "mad as bloody hell". Bauer is getting better but he has alot of work to do. Bauer should strive to be like Schilling, Smoltz or Beckett. They were "big game" pitchers. Do the Tribe pitchers have the "killer instinct"?
- I also wonder do the Tribe hitters have the killer instinct too. I know Nick Swisher does not. He has shown he can hit "meatball" pitches but he can not hit pitchers pitches. Carlos Santana is swinging the bat well but needs it do it early in the season too. All the Tribe hitters need a better 2 strike approach. They also need to do the little things better by playing better defense. Going into today their Def Runs saved was at -60 which is last in MLB. Cardinals were 1st with a DRS of +53. Yes Jhonny Peralta who Tribe fans ran out of town, DRS is at +15. Peralta makes the rountine plays. Asdrubal can but he is to lazy mentally. I hope he does not get traded because he would contribute to another team. He is struggling with RISP but he has a 718 OPS which is 10th among qualified SS. He should play 2B and trade Kipnis instead. They also should trade Chisenhall because he is awful at 3B and is showing his true colors after his hot start. He has warning track power. Brantley needs to show he is a true "super star" hitter. David Murphy needs to start hitting more fly balls not grounders. Raburn needs to start producing against LHP by having good at bats.
- The big question for the rest of year is the team "hungry like the wolf" and front office can make the right evaluations and moves to make the team better. The answer is they have show it ASAP.